Steroids in bodybuilding, so-called “anabolic” or “anabolic steroids” are very popular, i.e. preparations synthesized on the basis of the male sex hormone testosterone, and used in the form of tablets or intramuscular injections of prolonged action. These funds are actively accepted by athletes and bodybuilders to stimulate: “muscle nutrition”, the increase in muscle mass, in order to form a “competitive quality” from this “quantity” – relief (which is actually the subject of competitions in representative world-class bodybuilding competitions). Typical contingent schemes use doses antiphysiologically exceeding 8-10 times (from 20 to 2000 mg! In testosterone equivalent per day) for the quick effect, and several different anabolics are combined at the same time.
Steroids in bodybuilding
Anabolic steroids is a class of pharmacological drugs that are close to testosterone in chemical structure and pharmacological action and are derivatives of it with weakened androgenic and enhanced anabolic effects. Virtually all of them have common mechanisms of pharmacological action. Anabolic steroids in bodybuilding:
- increase the plastic and energy processes in the human body, while the function of cellular respiration and the oxygen transport function of blood are enhanced, since the total amount of both blood and red blood cells increases;
- reduce aggregation and adhesion of platelets, i.e. adhesion and formation of platelet plugs in microvessels, as well as clotting of blood, which improves microcirculation during intensive physical work.
The most popular for the growth of muscle mass, volume and strength, are Anadrol, testosterone suspension, Dianabol (orally and in injections), testosterone cypionate, Sustanon-250, Deca, Winstrol V, Equipoise, Androxon. To increase muscular relief, Primobolan acetate, Parabolan, Anavar, Primobolan Depot, Deca (androlone decanoate), Primobolan (tablets), Phinasedte, Winstrol V, Equipoise, Winstrol (tablets) are used. Least effective for the growth of muscle volumes are Maxobilin, Halotestin, Methyltestosterone, Winstrol (tablets), Primobolan (tablets), Primobolan Depot, Primobolan acetate, Testosterone propionate, Durabolin, Anavar. After analyzing the clinical and pharmacological effects of these drugs, it becomes obvious that athletes consider it most effective that those steroids in bodybuilding.
Side effects of anabolic steroids
The occurrence of side effects in the use of anabolics is individual and depends on a number of factors: age, sex, genetic predisposition, physical and mental constitution, as well as dose, duration of administration and type of AS used. Side effects (side effects) when applying steroids in bodybuilding are expressed:
- in the reduction of the number of spermatozoa, up to aspermia and a decrease in their mobility (due to inhibition of the gonadal regulatory circle: “hypothalamus – pituitary body – target organ”), increased libido (in some cases even considered a beneficial effect);
- in virilism according to the male type, which is individual among men and among female athletes (possible: possibly baldness – allopecia, gynecomastia in men);
- in the appearance of acne and / or seborrhea (due to a change in the fat content of the skin) and swelling, especially cushingoid edema of the face (due to water-salt retention);
- in the growth (reliably) of aggressiveness and irritability up to unmotivated clashes in training at the maximum reception (“steroid rage”); possible development of depression;
- in a moderate decrease in the level of intellectual self-control (is irreversible when using AS in the puberty period from 13 to 18 years).
- in disorders of the gastrointestinal tract (including liver – hepatotoxicity), cardiovascular system (arterial hypertension, hypercholesterolemia and development of atherosclerosis, ischemia and hypertrophy of the myocardium), and the immune system (its weakening); possible growth retardation;
- In addition, in the literature, cases of cholestasis, hepatitis and liver carcinoma are known (but these cases usually arise only in those who have used long-term steroid therapy and already suffered from significant impairment of liver function).
Of course, the bodybuilder can not help but rejoice at the results achieved by him (against the backdrop of a long (and often uncontrolled – from the side of doctors) of the AU reception) and sports results (and cash prizes). But at what cost will these benefits be paid off !? And here’s what: decreased libido, impotence, addiction, decreased sperm production, male infertility, testicular atrophy, depression, drug-induced hepatitis, cancerous degeneration of liver cells, increased risk of rupture of tendons and bone fractures (due to severe muscle hypertrophy) Also see the article steroids side effects.
For athletes who use steroids in bodybulding
Anyone who takes steroids should carefully read the next part of the article to avoid the negative effects of taking steroids in bodybuilding. And, so, the most often admitted athletes bodybuilding errors when taking anabolic steroids:
1. Applying too high doses. Sportsmen of bodybuilding are extremists, like all athletes in general, they proceed from the rule “more is better”. If 5 tbl. good, 10 – even better. With such representations, the doors for side effects are wide open. The effectiveness of almost all steroids depends on the dosage, which is sufficient if the building behavior of steroid molecules and receptors is achieved. If the receptors of the muscle cell are saturated, excess steroid molecules will find another target. Violations of liver function, kidney problems, hair loss, acne, high levels of estrogen, decreased endogenous hormone production, aggressiveness often grow from high dosages. The so-called megadoses do not give rise to increases in strength and mass.
2. The reception period is too long. Incorrect steroids are not recommended for most athletes for two reasons. As with high doses, the risk of potential side effects increases. The possibility of organic damage is particularly high with prolonged use of oral steroids (especially 17-alpha-alkylated steroids). The effect of the taken steroids decreases after a while, which again intensifies only with a short-term increase in doses or with the change of steroids. Everyone should know that the stronger the steroid, the faster its effect on the body decreases, therefore it makes less sense to take it for a longer time. Based on the Anapolon 50, the gains, judging by experience, are reduced in 3 to 4 weeks, while the same results can be achieved with Deca for 10-12 weeks.
3. The use of the wrong steroids. Steroids are not really steroids. A distinct line should be drawn between strongly androgenic toxic steroids, such as Anapolone, Methyltestosterone, Dianabol, Halotestin, etc. and less androgenic, mostly anabolic and slightly toxic, such as Primobolan, Deca-Durabolin, Oxandrolone, Andriol, and Winstrol. Because only the application of the first is mainly associated with serious side effects, and it makes sense to limit their intake to 6 to 8 weeks. Especially cautious with them should be women, teenagers, athletes aged and beginners in steroid courses. In addition, it is desirable that the public and the media pay attention to these differences in their sentences and articles.